Sunday, July 10, 2011

Stephen Sondheim

I was watching the History of the Broadway Musical Documentary (while watching the Indians....you know....just in case the LGBT came busting in my apartment pointing and screaming "I knew it!!!!") Stephen Sondheim was talking about how the crescendo at the end of each small phrase was his basis of mood in the opening song. With each small crescendo, you would keep anticipating something to happen but it never would. He said hardly anyone would notice it but it would automatically create a mood.
That is something that has been spinning around in my head about this 9/11 show for some time. The mood for the show. If it's supposed to happen like it did that day, I suppose I should start it at 8:46 in the morning, but then my buddy Alex wouldn't get there to see it, that's 6 hours before he likes to wake up. If the audience enters to a mood that we all had at 8:45 am that day, I might consider having a stand up comedian, a folk band, or people just handing money out so that everyone says "Oh what a splendid show this will be", and then have the ceiling cave in and crush the first three rows.
Maybe in the first three monologues I can crescendo the end of each sentence and the audience will think "Why in the hell is he doing that" , and get so annoyed they run out of the theater. I feel like I can actually recreate the horror of that day right there in the theater. Oooh, I have actors in mind that will really destroy all normalcy of the room if they perform. This place will explode!!!! Anyway...thank you Stephen Sondheim. (and the fact that I've been doing farce comedy for the past 4 weeks)

No comments:

Post a Comment