Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Day #2

If I could write one more monologue to the show, it would be about what I witnessed when I went to the Memorial. Here we are standing next to these two enormous reflecting pools with the names of all the deceased, flowers, and loved ones tearing up and praying. Behind them you have tourists who are posing for family/couple pictures, as if they're standing in front of FAO Schwartz. Where do these pictures go and what's the story behind them when they tell people? "Over here on the mantle is our family picture in front of the graveyard of almost 3,000 souls who were brutally murdered. Yeah, we're all smiling. Tim is sort of looking away but we took 4-5 so we could get the perfect shot in front of the monument of one of the most depressing days in World history. Oh, look over my shoulder in the picture, yeah, I'm the one with the Statue of Liberty hat, see that person, they were balling in hysterics. I think they were crying over their husband or dad or someone. I tried to frame them out so they didn't ruin the picture. We might use it as our Christmas card. "

Seriously, it's such a beautiful place and some beautiful landscape and so overwhelming. I stared in disbelief as people handed over their cameras and said, "can you get our picture in front of this" , and then would smile and hold each other like it was a bar. Maybe someone can enlighten me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment