Monday, December 20, 2010

Dec 20th

Since I'm on break from school, I'm able to catch up on a lot that I wasn't able to during classes. Here's what I've done since the conception of this website.
The Messiah- Even though I was sick, I went to hear the Hilliard Community Singers do Handel's Messiah. This is a great place to start because my confusion is defined in this situation. Why do we need art? Why do we need music? Why do we need a performance of The Messiah during every Christmas season? What do Handel's long runs do to embellish our experience of the music? What specifically have the 100 people who saw the performance take away from it and how does that differ from the 40 people who rehearsed and sang it? Was it true art? What should have happened in me that would have accomplished what Handel intended? That's the brain side of me. The artist in me heard amazing chords within the strings and in the choral arrangements. At one point, my mind totally wandered to singing with my friends in high school and all the good times that we had. Was that an experience that stemmed directly from the music? From where I was sitting on the side, the light was coming in from the stained glass window and surrounded the director in such a beautiful glow. That was artistic and beautiful to me. Did anyone else notice that. Here's another difference. The musician in me heard the wrong notes, out of tune chords, and misplaced vowels. On the way out, I heard an elder lady say "Wasn't that just gorgeous?" I realized I'm on a very long and interesting journey with this blog.
Social Network- God I love Aaron Sorkin. His dialogue keeps you on your toes and even though the dialogue has a sense of absurdity, it is so pleasant to the ear. I thought Jesse was very convincing as Zuckerberg and what great acting choices to make a closed off character seem interesting for 2 hours. He constantly seemed to be not listening, but taking everything in at the same time. What was he doing? My favorite line was when he's on the phone near the end and they just got the half million investment and he tells his friend "We did it." Those three words have so much weight to me. To make something out of nothing, people love it, and make billions off of it. It seemed it was an acceptance of what I strive for: a venture that became successful after all the bullshit. I get chills just thinking about it.
Inglorious Basterds- Watch the first 20 minutes of that film and you automatically graduate acting, directing, writing, and film school.
Sin City- (My dad and I are watching all of our favorite Christmas movies). Artistically and cinematography, it's absolutely brilliant. It's almost how I envision the other comic book movies being made, but it works better with this one. It makes me want to challenge film directors to push the envelope. We've seen the norm with no stakes film making. Dig deep people.
Christmas Carol- The Hilliard Arts Council did a 35 minute production of this holiday classic and it was exactly that. You cant mess it up. We all know the story. We know how it's going to end. I fall back to- Why? I know part of my journey is to see the effects of art on society, no matter what level it is. There were parents out there, taking pictures of their kids. What did they take from the production? People who came and saw the show for the sole purpose of seeing the show? What about the kids who were in it? How does someone who gets on stage for the first time benefit and how does that compare to someone who's going into a Broadway show for the 10th time? They did 4 shows. As I sit here, the set has been torn down, the costumes returned, and the actors have gone back to Christmas shopping. It's different for everybody, but what was the purpose of putting it up? Is 'fun' enough? Is 'changing lives' enough? Is 'getting the message out' enough? How was my response different than the farm owners sitting next to me? The fact that seeing that show spurred these questions in me, maybe was enough. It might make me create something in response which would get a response from someone else. Who knows. That's why the world of theater is fascinating!
2012- Movie which was 98% visual effects and 2% message that says "we are human beings, treat each other with respect, love one another, and let's survive together!"
Four Christmases- Not as bloody or action packed as the other 3 movies, but surprisingly good. I will marry Reese Witherspoon. Done, said it. You want honesty? ok. There. I feel sensations when I see her and it's not my mind getting in the way. Vince does a good job at being himself and always looking like he's having fun on screen. More importantly, he never looks like he's trying to do it correctly.
Rules of Engagement- Patrick Warburton. Again, being himself, trusting himself, and having fun. It works. Learn something from that Jason. That's right. 3rd person bitch!
I need to start acting before I think. My impulses should be my everything. My brain needs to take a break and let my emotions and subconscious take over. I trust myself. I know I can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment