Saturday, April 30, 2011

Detail Overload

I've read a few books, seen a couple documentaries, lived in NYC through the actual events, and interviewed people and now I'm starting to sit down for the writing process. It seems so daunting. How do communicate what I want the audience to take away from it? What exactly do I want the audience to take away from it? I think those questions will be answered once the process begins. My brainstorming list is twice as long as the last one I posted.
My last final is Monday morning and I'll be completely done with my first year by 3 pm. The way I've decided to tackle the writing process is taking the advice from my former photography teacher. She once had us take a simple object and take over 50 pictures of it from different angles and such. It was at the time that we thought we had exhausted all possibilities of capturing this object when the art actually started to happen. Pictures 45-80 were always so much more interesting because they came from a place of extreme exploration.
I think this is how I'm going to try to write. I'm going to block off a few hours and free write and see where my imagination goes. Since I don't have an exact vision of what I want to happen, I trust that it's inside of me somewhere and I just need to coax it out. It'll be at the time that I'm sick of writing about some specific piece of the event that I will go to an extreme alpha state and hopefully my subconscious will come to life. Here's hoping. I'm trying to get most of my ideas out on paper by June 1st so I can start structuring it and having a fairly good draft by August 1st. Still hoping for my first read through to be Sept 11, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment