Tuesday, April 26, 2011

This Might Work

My apartment is starting to become littered with Sept. 11 books, pictures, videos, and anything else that will trigger some inspiration for my writing and production. I can look at a picture of people running down the street, take notice of one individual, wonder something trivial about that person that is associated with this day, and come up with an idea for a monologue. I give 100% thanks to my training at the UCB for that gift. Most people see life in numerical or alphabetical order because it makes sense and people love patterns. In improv, you learn how to go A to C and A to D with a slight appreciation of what B was and how you got to where you are now.
As I was writing at my table, which I mistakenly called my ground zero the other day because it's covered with everything and makes no sense, I listened to my roommate and classmate talk about 9/11. They were looking at my Time Life Commemorative Book of pictures, time lines, and accounts from that day and their conversation put some life in me to do this project and spread it to the people. They both were about 12-13 when it happened and didn't live in NYC. The simple questions they had for me about the pictures made me realize I will be explaining things that I thought was common knowledge to humans. They were young. They didn't deal with the repercussions of that day or terrorists attacking their neighborhood. Their neighbors didn't disappear. I feel that discussion has set these thoughts further in motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment