Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Nice Relaxing Night Alone

Tonight I decided to watch a light documentary from the History channel titled 102 Minutes. Wow. What the hell was I thinking? It gave me a million ideas for my show but I spent most of it having flashbacks and reliving that day and the days after. The documentary consists of home footage taken by New Yorkers that were down in the neighborhood when it all happened. What I heard in the conversations that I totally forgot until now was that we had no idea what was going on minute by minute. It's easy to look back on the day as a whole and remember how it affected me. I forgot about what was going through my head from 8:50-9:02 and all the different theories we had going. Then the 30 minutes after that was a whole other mind fuck. Then the 30 minutes after that was Armegeddon. I also forgot some people woke up after it happened and how they processed the whole thing. "I want some coffee....hey...where are the towers?"
We were so confused that day. Where do we go? Where is it safe? What's next? Am I safe here? Are there more planes? Are there more buildings going to fall? I can't get off the island! My cell phone doesn't work!!! WHAT DO I DO???
In 102 minutes that day, everything I knew about life and NYC changed. Looking back, how did we do it? Watching the video tonight reminded me not only how awful it all looked, but that we weren't sure if we had seen the worst of it. Our city looked like the southern tip had fallen into the Hudson. Going to bed that night (I don't even remember going to bed that night) we weren't sure what we were going to wake up to the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment